Monday, January 18, 2010

Day 18: Coffee, rain and writing

Is there anything more poetic than writing morning pages in the rain? Not actually in the rain. That would be messy. I mean, sitting by a window, sipping coffee and writing. It's so very Jane Austen or Virginia Woolf in a room of their own, don't you think? It makes me want to wear a long flowing dress and write words like "thither."
"Confession: I have read Pride and Prejudice about 200 times. I get lost in the language. Words like 'thither.'"
-- Kathleen Kelly, You've Got Mail
Again with the You've Got Mail quotes.

I know... so good. Today's morning pages were not quite as romantic as the setting. Yes I was by the window, yes I was sipping tea and yes I was writing. But the content of the pages were mostly about not wanting to go to the gym.

Inside of me is an insolent little child who has no interest in walking through the rain to go to the gym. This is the part of me that gets really cranky at least once a day. This is the part of me that I would like to snuff out. But, all this said, I suppose this part of me does serve a purpose. Like right now, for instance. I'm dry, warm and happy. I'm not wet and cold. Though I haven't crossed the gym off my list. There is another aspect of me that is cranky about that. Sigh... I'm just trying to do the best I can. To make choices in hopes to provide myself with optimal happiness in any given day.

What aspects of your personality do you resent, dear reader? Do you have a cranky non-gym-goer inside of you? A non-walk-in-the-rainer? And do they serve a purpose? A greater good? Or are they just sabotaging plans?


2 comments:

  1. i've got a cranky don't-want-to-clean-out-my-socks-and-underwear-drawer

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lived outside of London for 5 weeks this summer and the cranky-rain-hater came out almost every day. When she didn't make an appearance, cranky-doesn't-like-to-run-in-humidity gal substituded. I think both of these may be somewhat related to how ugly my hair looks when moisture hits it.

    More power to you for staying inside and writing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...