Friday, January 1, 2010

Day 1: The Challenge

I'm watching the first sunset of 2010. Breathtaking.

I'm also watching the first sunset of 2010 from my couch in my apartment in Santa Monica. Sweet!

Today is the first day of my 365 days of doing morning pages, which were made famous by the book The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron. My morning pages were not made famous. Not yet anyway.

The Artist's Way is a 12 week course about how to unleash your creativity. You buy the book, you go through exercises for each week of the course. Throughout the full 12 week period, we are tasked with writing 3 pages a day, which she calls morning pages.

These pages can be anything. Write three pages of lists, stream of consciousness, angry release-type blather, or even write "I don't know what to write" repeatedly for three pages. Just write three pages of something.

Three pages doesn't seem like a big deal but if you've ever done the course, you probably understand that sometimes three pages can be a monumental task. For me, the morning pages were the workhorse of the course. Through writing them I was able to transform my life in magical ways. Yet they bug me, these morning pages. Hence this project.

The Challenge: To write 3 pages a day for 365 days of the year 2010 and blog about it. I'm not promising to blog everyday but I think the blogging will keep me going.

The Contender: Janice MacLeod. Copywriter by day. Artist by night. Seeker. Dreamer. Morning page writer.

I won't put you (or me) through the agony of reading the actual morning pages. Though if I happen to write something brilliant in the process, I'll share it on this information super highway that is the internet.

Perhaps I'll put quotes around it.

Or italicize it. It's too soon to tell.

I'm not sure how I am to do this and I'm not sure why I'm doing it in the first place. Though I hope my life will shift in a positive direction. The first time I did The Artist's Way, I fell in love, lost weight, changed jobs and doubled my income in the process, and moved from Toronto to Los Angeles. That's pretty amazing since it all started with The Artist's Way and mostly with morning pages. The second time I did The Artist's Way, I burned out a pretty serious love addiction. This may not seem as momentous as the first time I did the course, but I assure you, it was a significant feat. I burned out a long running, energy zapping addiction by writing every detail of this ill-fated relationship in my morning pages. Three cheers for me!

But after each 12 week course completed, I stopped writing morning pages. Until now. Day 1, I've written my morning pages and started this blog. It's the first of the year so all that New Year's resolution energy is in the air. I'm like a horse at the gate. Excited. Nervous. I'm also frothing at the mouth.

Game on.


8 comments:

  1. Go Janice! This is a WONDERFUL idea and very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three cheers for you, indeed, dear Janice! I look forward to seeing what you discover in the course of this project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yippie! I love you. This is awesome. What a great enviroment you are creating to inspire and deepen your process. I just watched Julie & Julia on New Year's Eve. I loved that Julie never met Julia - yet allowed the process to deeply impact her life.

    Three cheers to you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS: very sweet picture on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments! I did in fact watch Julie & Julia over the holidays and was inspired to do my own blog. So kudos to Doug for making the connection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Roxanne Van DammeJanuary 02, 2010

    You go girl! I'm excited to follow along. Very beautiful picture on this page!!
    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome. I've gotta get this book. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Janice
    good luck with it. I'll be following you. I'm also doing the 12 week course for the first time this year.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...