Monday, January 25, 2010

Day 25: Channeling Julia Cameron

Writing three pages is easy when I'm effin' pissed. I can rattle on if I'm frazzled, frustrated, irked, dismayed or sad. But when life is honky dory, getting three pages out of me and onto the page is like trying to pull a hippopotamus out of the mud.

That's what today was like. But luckily, I had an idea by the end of page one. I channeled my inner Julia Cameron to see what she had to say:

"Give yourself credit. You're here. So much can come out of these pages. And yes, much of the time is just about filling up the pages with whatever gobbledygook comes out. That's normal. That's fine. That's why there are three pages. That's why its every day. You are a chick in an egg pecking away to break the shell. How you peck is by showing up and doing these pages.

This is also part of your ministry. It's important work so don't diminish it when you feel it's not revelatory or useful. If you don't know what to write, count your blessings. Literally, list what you're grateful for. If you still don't know what to write, write down that you don't know what to write. Keep your pen on the paper and you'll figure it out as you go.

This is astoundingly large work and it's bigger than yourself. You are planting seeds. They will bloom and grow. Trust this. And let God take care of the rest."


1 comment:

  1. 3 pages aside, I think listing what you're thankful for every now and then is a great practice. I kept a gratitude journal for several months a few years back and I really think it helped my mood.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...