Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Day 6: Elle Marie

Today, my niece Elle Marie was born. So of course, I wrote all about it in my morning pages:

Dear Elle,

Welcome to this world. May you have a lot of laughs in this lifetime.
Try to be kind to the planet that feeds you.

Try to be kind to your parents that clothe you.

Grace is your older sister. She's very excited about your arrival. Today is also her first swimming lesson. She's excited about that, too.

I wish I could be with you at the hospital today to greet you. It's days like today that I regret living far away. I moved away to achieve my dreams. Hopefully I will manage to somehow inspire you to achieve yours.

I prefer to be called Auntie Jan.

I will teach you things and you will teach me things. We will be affected by each others wins and losses.

You lucked out with your parents. They always strive to improve their lives, to learn their lessons, to witness the gifts of each moment. Plus, they are funny as hell. Your dad can do wonders with a kettle bell and your mother is an amazing cook.

I don't envy you having to go through elementary school. For me, it was long expansive days filled with multiplication tables and classroom bullies. But there were also music classes and crayons. You don't even know about the crayons yet! Or the Internet. I look forward to observing you discover them.

Someday you'll have to figure out how to make something of this life you've been given. There will hits and misses. You'll likely search outside of yourself for joy but hopefully you'll discover that it's an inside job.

You'll make choices you have to live with. Good and bad.
You'll commune with whatever God works best for you.
You'll watch your friends and family grow, come and go.
You'll spend a lot of Christmases with me.

You and I will get a lot of gifts around Christmas as we are both born at this time of the year. This also means we're both Capricorns, so you may be considered a control freak by some. I like to think of myself as particular and there is nothing wrong with being particular.

I love you and I don't even know you. I can't explain how this works but it does and it's true.  You don't know me but you will love me. I just know it. We'll be good pals.

Now that you've arrived, I'm not sure how to fit us all in my car when you visit me. Your parents have long legs. There will be two car seats. And we cannot leave your dad's bicycle behind. I'll likely have to sit in the back seat in the middle, between you two girls. We can all hold hands. 

We'll figure it out.

I'm delighted you were born today. Happy birthday.

Love,
Auntie Jan


7 comments:

  1. that was a lovely letter. wish you could have been my aunt. you should write her one every year on her birthday, tthen give them all to her when she is older.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janice,

    The world is a better place with you in it. Your niece is so lucky. I know your being will make her a better person...just like it has for me...
    Love ya.

    RodW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janice, this blog is fantastic. Your writing makes me smile - and I'm so impressed at your dedication to writing every day. I wish I could stick to it, too! I look forward to reading more. Congrats on your new niece. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Janice! Your letter to Elle made me cry tears of joy for her, and you.

    What a blessing you are to Elle - and the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jan, as the mother of this child, and the mother of Grace, it is, and always has been, my dream to have you play a very important role in the life of my children. Even though I didn't know if there would ever be children (thank you universe, for making that decision for us), they are as much a part of your life as you are to me, forever bonded by family ties, blood relation, or an uncanny ability to recognize humour. Whatever it is... it is true, we are funny as hell.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kelsey TownsendJanuary 26, 2010

    Thats was absolutely beautiful. I'm sure when she's my age she's going adore reading this from you!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...