Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Day 33: Starting and finishing

Today's morning pages took me forever to complete. My mind was darting here there and everywhere.

Where?

What?

See. I'm not able to follow. I'm all over the place. I envy people who can focus on one task at a time. I opened my journal, began to write, checked an email, got a bite to eat, made tea, came back to my desk, checked my bank account, did some instant messaging with friends, looked at my journal, read another email, downloaded a podcast for heavensakes, ate a few almonds, reapplied my lip balm, got up to do a few dishes, shuffled through a few papers, opened a few bills, prepped my Netflix videos for return, revisited my journal, made a call, THEN FINALLY got back to my pages only when I knew I would run out of time to get them done before I had to zip off to work.

What is my DEAL? Why can't I just focus on one thing and get it done? I could have peacefully wrote in my pages and then head off to work in a timely manner instead of rushing the process and darting out the door without a moment to spare.

Even inside the pages, my mind was all over the place. How does one focus? How can I simply start something and finish something without doing 7 thousand things in between? Maddening, I tell you. Maddening!


3 comments:

  1. How in god's name (or whichever higher being you prescribe to) do you have that much time in the morning? I'm lucky to spend 2 extra minutes in the shower, scarf down some toast and wheaties, and get the dog to pee in a hurry so I'm not late for work. You must get up at 5 in the morning to get all that done before you go to work. Why be worried about it???? I commend you on your ability to get stuff done so early. All this without a coffee yet? Wow! You rock!
    SWC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to blame Facebook for this phenomenon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah I'm no saint. I can't always do these damn pages in the morning. In fact, as I write this at 5:30, I haven't even cracked open the journal. But that morning I tried. It's not so easy. And yes, I blame Facebook, too, Mel.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...