Thursday, February 18, 2010

Day 49: What are you doing for Lent?

I hadn't thought much about what to do for Lent this year. My mind was focused on how to create a vegan pancake with mochi instead of pancake batter. It actually turned out quite tasty even though it was a bit sticky.

Now that the mochi is sticking to my ribs, I turn my thoughts to what to do for Lent. I've already decided to write morning pages everyday for a year, blog about it and become vegan. That pretty much takes care of the diligence and suffering aspect of Lent.

My qualifications for Lent include something that I groan about doing but I know that it's good for me to do.

Practicing guitar daily qualifies.

I thought you liked playing guitar. 

I like playing when I'm good at a song, but I loathe playing when I suck at a song and I suck at most of them. After my recent stint of guitar classes, I put down the guitar and let my fingertips grown their nerves back. I can feel my fingertips again, which means it's gonna hurt to go back to playing guitar.

As long as pain is included, practicing guitar counts for Lent.

Yeah. It's gonna hurt. 

Hey reader, what are you doing for Lent? Share with the class if you're so inclined. I think I fixed the glitch with the comments area of the page so you are free to lay down a comment or two.


4 comments:

  1. Roxanne Van DammeFebruary 18, 2010

    Oh, you are like me Jan! If you are already doing something you wouldn't normally, than that should "just count" as your lent goal. Every year I consider "what should I do for lent?" and I usually do the big NOTHING. This year you've inpsired me though. I'm going to try to write more. I can't commit to three pages per day, but more than my current amount is a miracle in itself.

    Also, stop reading those veggie books and have a burger already! Gosh, you're so California! If you drive to the edge of the world and stop, you'll find out they eat meat and lots of it. And I don't have to tell you where "there" is. At least do it for the stuffing!

    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am turning to physical fitness... which looks good on Shape magazine paper, but in reality quite another matter. I have decided to team up with a friend, got her roped in.
    I find if everyone does the same thing, a.k.a, give up sweets etc., then you avoid the social conundrums of "so, what's for dessert?", "oh, I gave that up for lent", "oh, well then I will just throw out this chocolate cake and homemade chocolate chip cookies that I made especially for you since I know you love them, which you are now turning your nose up at!"
    Needless to say, I am not giving that up this year, only to avoid awkward moments, of course.
    I am doing ten "girl" pushups, 40 ab crucnches, and 10 kettlebell swings.
    We'll see.
    jule

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roxanne, I'm delighted to hear you're writing. I've been a fan for a long time, actually, longer than just about anybody.

    Jule, I love how you turn a phrase. And adding kettlebell swings? You're hard core! Much better choice than risking awkward social interactions with people who give up sweets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went with giving up sweets. Then, I found myself really inspired by someone who gave up discretionary spending. Added that too. Seems reasonable.
    Then I'm taking on periods of intentional quiet.
    I can already feel the freedom from self-afforded tyranny.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...