Sunday, February 21, 2010

Day 51: Artist Date Idea: Kirtan

I went to a kirtan for my artist date. For those not in the know (and I wasn't until recently) a kirtan is call-and-response chanting. The kirtankar is the person leading the chant. He sings, you repeat. There is music and a good vibe. The kirtans I've been to have been at yoga studios. You walk in, sit on the floor and chant along with these super talented musicians. At some point, the call-and-response gets all mixed in together and you find yourself singing as part of the flow of the sweet sound. Don't worry. It's loud enough that no one can hear you singing. Basically, the whole event is a singing meditation.

Sounds beautiful, right?

The moment I sat down, I was bugged. I was uncomfortable. My nose started running. I was too close to the speaker. People were sitting too close to me. My hips were tight. My ankles hurt by sitting cross legged. My back ached from sitting. I was tired.

But that was just my ego.

After observing myself bitch and complain, my ego quieted down and got down to getting down with the sweet chants. Perhaps all that angst had to release so I could have drop down to a deeper level of meditation. At some point I was singing and swaying in time to the music. Good times.

This artist date was totally worth it, despite my egoic kicking and screaming. Here's some info on the dude who ran the show: 

http://yogisanonymous.com/Events-Kirtan022010.htm
http://www.danielstewart.com
http://web.me.com/yogapath/Kirtan/Welcome.html



1 comment:

  1. My Mr. and I often go to yoga classes at Golden Bridge in Hollywood - and we hear all sorts of interesting singing and chanting coming from the main room there. I wonder if it's the same thing?

    Last weekend, right as we laid down for our final relaxation, the room below us erupted into 2 minutes of prescribed laughter. It was sort of distracting for me, but I couldn't help but chuckle myself.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...