Saturday, March 13, 2010

Day 71: My conversation with the banyan tree

I'm about to get a little woo-hoo. Consider yourself warned.

This morning I went for a walk along the beach here in beautiful Maui where I am spending my time for a few days. As I was walking, I was timing myself. The plan was to walk half an hour, then walk back. Gotta get in a full hour doncha know. Can't just see where the day takes ya.

See, I go to the gym at lunch some of the time so there is a time constraint on my workout. Today, on vacation, the only place I had to be was my beach chair, and we all know from yesterday's post that once I get in the chair I can't get out of the chair.

So rather than turn around at the half hour mark, I kept going. I walked and walked and walked until I came upon the most breathtaking banyan tree.
(Found this on google images. My photo didn't turn out. Whatayagonnado?)

Banyan trees are almost a creature. They have roots going here and there and whenever a branch gets too heavy, it grows a support branch to hold it up. If only we could all just grow the supports we need.

I sat beneath this tree and immediately went into a deep meditation where I had a conversation with the tree.

(This is where I might lose a few readers. It's cool. It's all good. Talking to trees. Weird. I get it.)

The tree exuded gleefulness. It said it was happy I'd come and said it was happy everyone comes. Typical Hawaiian greeting. Everyone seems so happy I'm here. The tree said that its root system is tied to root systems of other trees which were tied to other root systems so that the whole island is connected by one root system. That's how they communicate. Through their roots. The same is true with people. We have our roots, too. Even our ancestors are still tied to us through energetic roots.

I started to ask the tree questions about love. The tree said it's seen a lot of honeymooners come and go, probably as many as the Eiffel Tower. The tree always sends a blessing to these honeymooners. They often come back years later with wrinkles and rolls. A little more tired, but many of them a lot more in love. I asked the tree about my own love life. It said I shouldn't worry so much about my love life. It said that everyone gets love. Everyone. No one is forgotten. No one is exempt. Love will come for me just as it's come for the honeymooners.

Anyway, I'm making a short story long.

Two last things. The tree went on to talk about how the energy of children co-mingles well with the energy of the tree. The tree and the children feed off each others glee. And if you've ever seen a child running around a banyan tree, you'll understand what the tree meant. The tree also told me that this touristy area has come and one day it will go. All the while the tree will be in the same place. Everything and everyone comes and goes. Don't worry about the little things like your silly love life. Everything comes and goes. This reminds me of lyrics of Don't hang your heart by Chris & Thomas:
Don't hang your heart
On things, on love
A name, a face, a place
On dreams of yesterdays
Cause things will fade
And things will start
Don't hang your heart on anything
So, Reader, take from this conversation with the banyan tree what you will. I feel a little more calm about life today after my visit with the banyan tree.

Aloha and mahalo for reading all the way to here. This was a long and rambling post. According to Wikipedia, mahalo is a Hawaiian word meaning thanks, gratitude, admiration, praise, esteem, regards, respects.

That's about right. Mahalo, dear Reader. Mahalo.


3 comments:

  1. And Mahalo back to you and your wise tree. I'm quite sure trees have far more to offer than oxygen and beauty. Thanks for this revere Janice. Enjoy your time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was talking to a tree myself. It said, "You'll do anything to get out of working won't you? Including talking to a tree! Get back to work, and while you're at it, why don't you lose some weight - it can't be cheap buying jeans that size." I think I was talking to the wrong tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No woo woo here. I liked this post a lot. It made me think of Avatar. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...