Sunday, March 14, 2010

Day 72: Doing exactly what we want can be tough

"I wish I would have had Yogurtland instead of a mai tai and french fries."
--Marni
"Tomorrow, don't let me eat anymore fried food."
--Ashley
Why is it that we don't do exactly what we want to do? We eat the fries and drink the mai tais just because they are brought to us, even when we know it doesn't serve us.

I'm still hanging out in Maui at a resort where I can do exactly what I want to do. Today that included staring out at the ocean under my beach umbrella. I actually sat under the umbrella all day long, interspersed with a few dips in the ocean. It took me a very long time to do my morning pages. I couldn't keep a thought in my head. At the top of my second page of morning pages, I looked around at all the people out enjoying themselves. They didn't have a journal with them and for a split second, I wished my life could be simple like theirs.

Middle America goes to Maui.

But, my life is not their life. My life is filled with other things that do not include making sure all the kids have towels and are amply sunscreened. All I had to do was write my morning pages. That was the only task of the day. While they were corralling the children and making sure the surf didn't carry them away, I flipped over and went to sleep.

In that moment, doing my morning pages were exactly what I wanted to do.


1 comment:

  1. I like the realizing that you were doing what you were doing exactly what you were supposed to be doing. There is an ahhh in this.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...