Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Day 76: Forgiveness Prayer

The last post was quite spiritual in nature. A few posts ago, when I was talking to the Banyan Tree, I think I may have opened up my spiritual vein for all to see. Yep folks. Vegan and spiritual. Good gawd.

She'll probably stop brushing her hair, start wearing patcholi oil, stop shaving her pits and be the annoying girl you don't want to get cornered by at parties.

I love my razor and loathe patcholi, I'll have you know. But I sheepishly admit that I scolded two coworkers today for not bringing their canvas bags to Whole Foods. Yikes, as I wrote that I even frightened myself.

In today's post, I'm still in the spiritual vein. People have asked me for the forgiveness prayer below in the recent past. And today, I had very good reason to use it in my own life as my feelings were bruised by something somebody said that was untrue and unkind.

The forgiveness prayer is good. It's short. And it helps release resentment. The prayer is from the book Spiritual Liberation by Michael Bernard Beckwith, founder of Agape and an all around righteous dude. Get the book. It's great. He was also the visionary in the film The Secret. Nice job title, don't you think?

These two forgiveness prayers are for you to do alone in the silence of your own mind or to write in your journal. The person need not be present. In fact, it's better if she or he is not. This is your own work, even if they are the subject of the forgiveness.

So, here we go. In the silence of your own heart, think of the person you want to forgive and recite this prayer:
"I forgive you and set you free. Your actions no longer have power over me. I acknowledge that you are doing the best that you can, and honor you in your process of unfoldment. You are free and I am free. All is well between us. Peace is the order of the day"
If you seek forgiveness from someone, use this prayer:
"I know that within you there is an energy of forgiveness that forgives me and sets me free. My words and actions have no power over you. You are free and I am free. All is well between our spirits. Peace is the order of the day."
Simple. Sweet. Effective. 

Now go forth and forgive those who have pissed you off.


1 comment:

  1. I love this forgiveness prayer! You could not have posted it at a better time ~
    If you can forgive and love your enemies, you are truly a kindred spirit.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...