Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Day 81: A vacation from my to-do list

Woke up unable to move. The muscles in my back "pretzelized" in the night. The only position that was comfortable was lying down face up. So that's what I did all day. My mind first started making a to-do list.
  • Return the videos to the library
  • Read this book
  • Read that one
  • Write my pages
  • Go through magazines and catalogs
  • Call this person
  • Email that person
But I couldn't move. So none of it happened. I laid there and conceded that laying there was all I was going to be doing. Then I laid completely still and completely awake for hours. A new list emerged.
  • The beep of a truck in reverse
  • My neighbor's footsteps and keys jingling
  • Her dog barking happily
  • The roar of motorcycles and sports cars
  • The hum of a hybrid
  • A little girl telling her mom a story
  • Skateboarder
  • Hellish leaf blower
  • Repeat
Near the end of the day I was able to prop myself up enough to take care of the morning pages, but only because I said I would. Not because I wanted to. But, I must admit, today's morning pages were more fruitful than most. Perhaps it's because I decided to forgo my list of things to do. This was a good lesson. To let go of the to-do list. Try it. It feels good.


1 comment:

  1. What if you've been holding the to do list so long your fingers have actually grown into it? Or what if it's crazy glued to your hand?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...