Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Day 109: Show up and figure it out from there

Ever have one of those days where you don't want to write your blog?

Ya. Me, too.

But here I am. Doing it. Even though I'd rather do just about anything else.

I used my morning pages to work myself up to it, to convince myself that as long as I began my blog, I could possibly get something done.

The same is true when I have a project to do at work that I don't want to do. Advertisers like me write about the same few products day in and day out. The strategy is usually pretty much the same every time we are briefed on a project. Today, I was working on an ad that we recreate every month. I've been doing a different version of this exact same ad every month for a year and a half. 

And every month, I'm expected to come up with something fresh and exciting. And every month they expect a handful of concepts.

It's not easy. But, as my friend Jeff says, "The checks clear."

Yes they do. So I plug away. Showing up even when I don't want to because I'm required to be here. Because if I don't show up to work then I don't get to keep my job.

So why don't we show up for ourselves and our art in the same way?

What if I could fire my ass if I didn't put in a few hours a week on a painting? Threaten to pull the funding if I didn't keep up the blogging. Yell "you're outta here!" if I don't dust off the guitar to practice a few songs. Send my sorry self to HR for a talking to if I don't keep up my morning pages.

That would be motivating.

Just as I schlepped my ass to the office this morning, I schlepped myself onto this blog and just showed up. It's not glamorous. But it's doable. And that's how things get done. Just like this here blog entry.


2 comments:

  1. First of all, let me congratulate you on your excellent quote selection. I also want to say that I think you'll particularly like my post on Thursday. It deals with procrastination, a subject which, as you know, I have a degree in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a much better blogger than I! I've actually wanted to ask you - one writer to another - how you stay motivated to write your own stuff outside of work when you've been writing all day. I know it's a different kind of writing and thinking, but sometimes I'm just taxed at 6:00.

    Yes, I probably need to be sent to HR for my bad attitude...

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...