Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Day 118: Keeping your eye on the prize

Nothing like a death in the family to get your ass in gear.

Today's morning pages felt like they weren't even written by me. It was as if some powerful being took over my pen and started writing, "This is what we're going to do." Then the being listed all the tasks to do over the next month.

I had been slowly plugging away at four projects for the last four months. And when I mean slowly I mean mostly thinking about them but not doing anything about them. 

But today, I have a renewed vigor. Because, if not now, when?

If I don't step up and work on the life of my dreams, I could actually die before I get around to it.

(Pause here for dramatic effect.)

Now, let's briefly examine the life I currently have. I am currently living the life of the dreams I once had. It's pretty good. But, the person I was then is not the person I am now. There is a bigger world out there that I didn't even know about when I came up with this current dream life that I managed to miraculously achieve. My dreams are bigger now but I've been sitting on my keister and that's not going to get my dreams achieved.

So, after the morning pages, I got busy.

In one of my projects, I needed my sister to send me a document. It has taken me a year to ask. I asked, she took a photo of it and sent it. That's all I needed to move it along. DONE.

In another project, I had learn how to edit videos so I can entertain you, dear reader, with my words in a more animated format (among other projects). My boss gave me a video assignment this week, where I'll learn to edit. DONE.

In another project, I just needed a good hour to get the scribbles typed into a Word document. That's all. Mysteriously, an hour opened up in my day and I was able to type it up. DONE.

That left me with one more task that required a trip to the office supply place (Heaven!) and, not only did I take care of the errand, but I bought more of my favorite pens. DONE.

So, dear reader. Get to it. Take steps toward your dreams and keep your eye on the prize.

If not now, when?


2 comments:

  1. I think you need to change your name to Janice MacMotivation.

    I recently made a goal list of how much time each week I should dedicate so each of my projects. It's good to make yourself accountable like that. Unfortunately, I'm also training for a half marathon and I keep letting my running cancel out other projects...maybe I need to write the list up in bolder ink...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you need to change your name to Oprah Winfrey. Or Vito Corleone. You know, something where other people will do whatever's on your list for you. And really, talk about accomplishment...

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...