Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Day 124: Today is Unrequited Dream Day



Maui ruined me.

Ever since I returned from my Hawaiian vacation, I haven't been able to get back in the groove of corporate life.

The get up, drive to work, be at work, pick up food, drive home, eat, sleep, repeat lacks the put-up-with-it-ness that it had before my romp with sea turtles and conversation with the banyan tree.

So that's what today was all about. I wish I'd just get over it. I wish I had a life that didn't have this ache.

And the worst part?

My job is fine.

What's my problem?

I could say that I just need a vacation, but the last vacation resulted in an unbearable state of being that I thought I'd shake after week one and certainly by week two. But it's been a few months and it's still here.

What's a girl to do?

Get up and go to work. Look at my bank balance to remember that the checks clear. Remind myself that it's a good gig. Put it out of my mind as best I can. Grin and bear it. Tell myself that it could be worse.

And try to forget that it could be so much better.



3 comments:

  1. I think what makes the transition from vacation to job-life so hard is the sense of possibility.

    Every day you wake up in a foreign (or domestic) land, there's this sense of wonder - like "what will I do today?" Anything is possible.

    Getting up and going to work only holds limited possibilities - like "what will the client make us reconcept today?"

    I think it's the freedom and excitement of not knowing what's ahead that are so hard to shake.

    Thank goodness I haven't been to Hawaii in 4 years... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. awe, hang in there.

    Try this: You ARE going to Hawaii again! You just haven't set a date yet. So you might as well going ahead and pick that date now, write in on the calender, start the countdown and make it happen!
    Then, re-focus your attention onto the fact that YOU are GOING to HAWAII on (set DATE) and you CAN'T WAIT!!
    :)
    Then it's something to look forward to, instead of feeling sad :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Umm, maybe you aren't supposed to be corporate forever.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...