Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Day 135: Coffee with Julia Cameron

Today is my 10 year anniversary of moving to Los Angeles.

I thought it only fitting that I celebrate it with Julia Cameron's latest read, Finding Water, since Julia and the Artist's Way is part of the reason I moved to Los Angeles.



When I first did Julia's 12 week course, I'd write my morning pages in the coffee shop at the base of the tower where I worked as a Junior Copywriter for my beloved Leo Burnett advertising agency. My pages were filled with headline options and strategic thinking. I was very into advertising. My pages took a turn, however, when I fell in love with the cutest Account Executive who told me that he was moving to Los Angeles and that was that.

It wasn't Alaska.

It wasn't Timmins for heavensakes.


It was California.

Sexy California.

My pages started being about making my evil plans to move to California. I used them to update my resume and organize my portfolio. To decide what to pack and what to leave behind. To decide who to keep and who to leave behind.

10 years ago today my car dealer picked me up at the airport in the car I was about to purchase that day. I signed papers, handed over some moolah and drove into my life in Santa Monica.

I remember sweat pouring down my back as I drove, not because I was hot but because I was anxious. What the hell was I doing??!?!?!!

I still don't know what I'm doing. And some days I feel like this was all a big mistake.

The love affair died but it inspired the books. The enthusiasm for advertising has waned but I still like it enough to let it pay my bills. I'm still writing down my evil plans in my morning pages. And the car is still here. Still running great. In fact, here are a few photos.

Me and my stigmata blisters from my new sandals lounging in my car:


And a cute little photo I took this morning of a very determined little plant growing in front of my car.


I look at this little plant and whisper back to the girl I was 10 years ago, Grow! You've made it this far. Grow!


3 comments:

  1. As someone who works for an airline, on an airplane, I go through hundreds of airports. I see a lot of hellos and a lot of goodbyes and never remember any of them... I remember that goodbye.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...