Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Day 137: For those who die in sudden and confusing ways

I went to a funeral today for a person who died in a sudden and confusing way.

Back home, someone else in my circle of friends also died in a sudden and confusing way.

It makes you think.

The priest began the service with, "Today is the beginning of a new way of relating to her."

That's an interesting new twist for a priest. I think he's right though. She hasn't gone, she's just moved from this way of being to another way of being.

The program also stated the date she entered this life and the date she entered eternal life. Nice touch.

It's unlikely that anything can bring much comfort to the bereaved, but these little ways of reframing something tragic is at least a place to start.


6 comments:

  1. I've made several attempts to complete the Artist's Way the last 10 years, but only got as far as week 8. I still do the morning pages pretty regularly. So in a new search for blogs about TAW, I found yours. I love your style and voice so started reading the archives. When I brought up April 29 and the accompaning picture of your uncle's passing, I got a shock. I had just returned a few days earlier from his wake and funeral. His daughter is married to my son and we have 3 wonderful grandchildren in common. He was a wonderful man, so full of good humour and pride and love for his family. I've passed the link to your blog on to his daughter, Katrina and her daughter Kelsey who is 15 and has dreams of being a writer

    Wishing you continued success with this 365 day challenge. You've inspired me to give the 12 weeks another shot. I'm in Prince Edward Island, a piece away from California.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should move back to Ontario. 10 years is enough for Califonia, isn't it? I know your California friends read this too, but life it too short to be away from your family.

    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. lclarey,

    This is an amazing coincidence! Of course, it's probably Uncle Lew telling us that all is good. And also a way for him to communicate through us to his daughters.

    I'm his brother Bob's daughter. I'm not sure how to contact you beyond this comment page, but please email me privately at janicemacleod@gmail.com

    Thank you for letting me know about this. I'm still stunned.

    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  4. And Roxanne,

    Who would have thought I'd be in California for 10 whole years. I did not see that coming.

    Love ya,
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  5. AnonymousMay 19, 2010

    No really. You were waiting for a sign to move back and now you have it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Anonymous,

    Waiting for a sign? I think someone is being Hector Projector.

    Janice

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...