Saturday, May 22, 2010

Day 141: Breakfast with Dolce & Gabbana


Today I had breakfast with two friends at a fancy restaurant on the beach. They fly into town once every month for three days and on those three days we nosh on lattes, eggs and home fries. The one friend, who I'll call Dolce, goes to school one weekend in the month, while Gabbana goes golfing.

The three of us are a perfect trifecta of friendship. We know each others inner most thoughts? How? Because we tell each other. We're that honest. We prize each other on our good traits and blatantly give each other "suggestions for improvements." All with a laugh and sometimes a pause, followed by, "Ya, I need to work on that."

The waitstaff knows us well. They see me come in early and give me a big booth, knowing I'll be joined shortly by Dolce & Gabbana. When D&G arrive, they bounce into the restaurant and land exuberantly in the booth. And this is often at 7:30 on a Saturday morning. You may find their energy befuddling so early in the morning, but honestly, we are just so happy to be there.

We are handed menus almost apologetically by our waiter who knows we know everything on the menu. They also know we order the same things. By now we have perfected the way we like our eggs and toast and sides of peanut butter. 

It's just breakfast. But it's so much more.

I did not think that when I started meeting them for breakfast that I would be walking into a monthly ritual that has come to mean so much to us all. We give each other the monthly updates, we cajole, we giggle, we discuss the evolution of mankind and we even say grace before our meal, always with one of us piping in the caveat, "Be quick about it."

After breakfast, Dolce hops in my car for a ride to school while Gabbana grabs the clubs for a day at the greens.

Sometimes I observe our monthly ritual and wonder what we did to live this abundance. Then a voice whispers in my inner ear, you showed up. 


I'm so very glad that I did.



1 comment:

  1. AnonymousMay 22, 2010

    Janice Macleod You Rock, as do D&G

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...