Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Day 144: My meltdown with the DMV

One of my favorite annual activities is renewing my vehicle registration. There is something so very satisfying about getting the sticker in the mail and putting in on my license plate, knowing I won't have to deal with this task for another year.

This time, I got my smog check as required, paid my dues and waited for the sticker to arrive in the mail.

And I waited.

And waited.

The sticker never came.

I called the DMV and was on hold, which is typical. They apparently sent my new sticker but to the wrong mailing address. See, when I moved they changed my mailing address but they typed it in wrong. When I was asked for the old address and answered incorrectly (because it's very hard for me to actually guess what wrong address they typed in the computer) they said they couldn't change it on the phone. I couldn't solve it online either so I had to go to the dreaded Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in person.

Ugh, that sucks.

Yes, dear reader, it does in fact suck.

 Me waiting in line outside. 

Me watching other people wait in line. 

Once you've waited in the line, you must then wait in a chair.

People of all ages must wait at the DMV.

We are all waiting for our number to be called, so the whole place sounds like a bingo hall except instead of winning money, we pay money. 

While I waited, I got my morning pages done, so that's at least one good thing. 

Once my number was called, I went up to the window to change my address and get my sticker. The lady couldn't have been nicer. She handed me my sticker and I promptly zipped out to my car to put it on my license plate right there in the parking lot. 

Hours later, I took a gander at the printout of the registration that she had handed me when she gave me my sticker. 

She forgot to update my address. 

OMG.

OMFG!

That's when I lost it. Tears. Anger. Yelling. Cursing God. Cursing the D.M. EFFING V!!!!!

I guess I'll be talking to you again DMV mother effers.

3 comments:

  1. Ah, another connection. Me loves me some DMV too! I find it to be a great source of governmental comfort. Kinda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe it's just the mood I'm in, but to me the most profound statement in the post is this:

    We are all waiting for our number to be called.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...