Sunday, June 13, 2010

Day 159: Religion, gelato and a coin in a fountain

Leaving the Amalfi Coast is a pain in the ass.

I had to get on that dreadful bus again. This time I didn't eat beforehand, which made the ride less nauseating. The curves in the road are too hard for this cat to handle.

After our bus ride, there was a long Metro ride, followed by a train ride, followed by another Metro ride, which ended in a long walk to our hotel with our bags. It was a trial but I didn't even care.

I was back in Rome.

Rome Rome Rome! Oh how I love you, Rome.


If Rome were a man, I'd give him a big wet one right on the lips. I was so glad to be back.

Our final day in Rome was spent wandering through the streets. Piazzas, gelato, pasta, wine, waiters, ruins and churches. I was in Heaven.

In fact, I'm kinda hoping Heaven is Rome.

Speaking of Heaven, I'm gonna get a bit Catholic on you right now, so you might as well decide how offended you're going to get.

We stopped in the church of San Luigi dei Francesi, where you get three Caravaggio paintings for free with the Matthew trilogy, including  “The Calling of Saint Matthew,” “St. Matthew and the Angels” and “The Matrydom of Saint Matthew.”


This was going to be my last church in Rome so I had to make it count. I loved the churches of Rome. Aine loved the shoes, we both loved the dresses and I loved the churches. I like soaking up the vibe of these holy places... and they are holy. Holy Moses are they holy.

I sat to say a little prayer about not wanting to want. My wantings have led to misery and discontentedness and I wish I'd just get over it already and be grateful for what I have. So there I sat asking God to protect me from what I want.

My friend Eva. Coolest cat ever.

My prayer went something like this:
 "God, either give me everything or help me not want it. I've got a pretty serious gelato addiction happening, plus a mean crush on Rome. Please free me from wanting this so I'm not entirely miserable when I leave."
Then God answered back in a voice that was my own voice, but was more loving, calm and wise. It recited a prayer:
"The Lord is my shepherd. I shall not want. He leads me to green pastures. Goodness and kindness shall follow me all the days of my life and I will live in the house of the Lord."
Amazing the lessons we learn in Catechism classes all those years ago come back to help in times of need.

The Lord is my shepherd. I shall not want, meaning, the Lord knows what I need and what I don't need so if I ain't got it, just as well. I don't need it. When I fully know this, only goodness and kindness shall follow me all the days of my life, meaning, when I release fully from wanting what I don't have I'll be at peace. When I'm at peace, goodness and kindness prevails. And I will live in the house of the Lord... I really hope that's Rome.

Basically, God knows what I need. He's the shepherd for heavensakes. He's got it covered.

But just so my bases are covered, I'm going to have another gelato and throw another coin in Trevi Fountain. There is only one wish when you throw your coin in for Trevi Fountain: That you will soon return to Rome.

Roma, Promettimi che ritournerĂ². 
Rome, Promise me I will return to you. 


2 comments:

  1. love the pink dress ;)
    ...and yes...He is the Shepherd.
    trust Him.
    thanks for sharing your trip to Rome with us. Maybe some day I will make it to this fabulous place you write about.
    wonderful to have you back in my blog world...and I'm becoming very curious how the rest of this year will play out for you.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...