Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Day 163: Flirting is my best medium

I think flirting might be my best medium.

For my friend Jeff, instant messaging is his best medium. Same with my friend Bruce. They are both fast typers that can zing witty retorts in seconds.

My sister Julie, her best medium is cooking.

My sister Carla, hers is baking.

My friend Sharon, it's texting. She's excelled at this since the advent of the iPhone. 

My friend Cooper, online photo albums. His captions are even better than the photos.

Me? You put me in a room of men and I will be the mayor of that room's ass in mere minutes. I will have them drooling and laughing and fantasizing. They will be trying to get their hands all over me and I will have them eating out of the palm of mine. Literally if I want.

Which begs the question, "Janice, why are you still single?"

I really don't know. I guess because I'm so good at it.

My mother says it's because I'm picky. I'm really not. I've dated a few nimrods in my time.

I think I'm single because with time and luck and hopefully some divine intervention, it will all come together somehow. Whatever it is, I'm  not too stressed about it at the moment... probably because I've just been fed a buffet of Italians.  

I bring this up because in Rome, flirting is as ingrained in the culture as gelato and the Catholic church. It's just how it is. Men live for the back and forth witty chit chat. And ya, they live for a little innuendo here and there. It doesn't have to be real, it just has to be fun. They are all about a good laugh. Nothing is forever. Everything is fleeting. It's all about a good time in the moment.

Coming back to Los Angeles, I'm left with a few lingering bits of eye contact and shy smiles from my suitors. I feel like shaking them and saying, "Is that all you've got? C'mon! Give me something to work with here!"

Naturally, I now want to move to Rome.

When I told my mom I had fun in Rome she said, "Well I suppose you want to move there now, too, just like when you wanted to move to Maui."

She's not wrong. It's true. I did want to move to Maui after my vacation there this spring. And I wanted to move to Paris after my vacation last spring. So could Rome be just another fantasy?

I don't think so. I don't think so because Rome and I share the same word.

Elizabeth Gilbert, in her book Eat Pray Love, explains that each city in the world has a word that defines it. Our job is match ourselves up with the city that has the same word as ourselves and then live in that city. For example, she explains, New York is Achieve while Los Angeles is Succeed. Similar but quite different, too. I think Toronto is Scholastic because everyone is into reading and being intellectual. Berkeley is probably Activism... I've never been so scared as the day I went to a peace rally in Berkeley. Peace rally participants are an angry bunch.

Gilbert states that Rome's word is Sex. I beg to differ. I think it's Flirt. They are, after all, Catholic and many of them still live with their mommas so the sex isn't as easy or as regular as flirting. And my waiters weren't going to have sex with me, but they sure wanted to flirt with me... even the 70-year-old waiter who gave me a big smooch on the cheek outside the bathroom at the back of the restaurant. Flirt. That's Rome's word.

Flirt might be my word, too, which means Rome and I were meant for each other.



The mayor of this town's ass.

Hey reader.

Me?

Ya you.

What's your word?


6 comments:

  1. Nimrod is a great word by the way. Moron is another good one.
    I think my word is Life, and not in the cereal way, or in the new-age-granola eating-self help book (no offence)-speaking like a far out idiot- way. I mean, when I come into our house, life starts. My husband breathes a sigh of relief, my children turn up the noise, the phone starts to ring, coffee is on... Life. I see it happening before my eyes and it rocks this little power I have over my very small inner circle. I am the shiny bobble in this house... maybe my word should be Narcissistic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJune 17, 2010

    Nimrod stuck out for me too. I always like your nimrods...except that one. My word might be Particular or else Tease. I like tease better, except then I feel stressed because I don't want to create frustration with all my talk and no walk. Maybe my word is neurotic. Or nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I might be Flirt too. I thought I had lost it... I was feeling old, dull, boring, stuck in a rut. Then I went to Paris for three weeks and the men there made me think.. maybe I still got it! Just maybe.

    Or maybe my word is Pleasure... because that's what I learnt there. Life is to be lived with Pleasure :) That's my new mantra.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Anonymous - I immediately thought of the word "tease." I love harassing people, love when people tease me back...and teasing can also be flirting, which you know is the MOST fun.

    Adorable picture, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love for my word to be Create, but I think in actuality, it's Dream. I could spend days just thinking thoughts of things I want to do and places I want to see. I guess it's a round about way of creating...if dreaming ever actually leads to fruition.
    Yep, Dream is definitely my word. Now I just have to work on the follow through.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnonymousJuly 01, 2010

    I prefer the word Nincompoop!

    Signed,
    Your 30-something Co-worker!
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...