Monday, June 21, 2010

Day 168: Peet's coffee shop love affair

Congratulations to David C. who won The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron!

Next week, I'm giving away Walking in this World by Julia Cameron:
 Email me your mailing address for your chance to win!

Now, back to me.

Every morning I get up and head to my favorite place: Peet's coffee shop.
I started going to Peet's 10 years ago. I was going through a bout of insomnia after a breakup and found myself awake every morning at 5 a.m. So, I'd traipse off to the coffee shop to write my morning pages and what was to become my first published book, The Breakup Repair Kit.

For awhile, I sat alone in the corner sipping my super strong Peet's coffee. I often sat with this guy named Travis. He always had a table and he always brought his own books with him to read, which was perfect because I didn't want to talk to anyone.

Jim sat at the table behind Travis. He had a newspaper, which was perfect because, as I said, Travis and I didn't want to talk to anyone.
  Jim and his paper.

But time changed all that. Somewhere along the line, Jim turned around to talk to Travis and somehow I got weaved into the conversation. Then David from a few tables down piped in, and Andre and Bruce, Blaine, Joe, Carol, Claire and Kirk did, too. Then Scott and Spiros and Aaron threw in their two cents and so did Dale and Emily.
 Dale and his perfect hair.

Is that Michael Moore behind me?

Ten years later our little coffee shop has a Facebook page called ENJOY YOUR COFFEE. It's for people who enjoy their coffee. Go figure. It has 189 members so far. I looked at the member list. I didn't recognize the names but I did see a few familiar faces.

Some of my closest friends are from my little coffee shop. Like these two rascals, Justin and David, who make sure to put a smile on my face before I get in my car to head to the office.
Justin arrives after his ride, I arrive before my commute and David arrives before his spinning class... We never plan to meet up. We always seem to arrive at the perfect time. And we usually ask each other the same questions: What did you do yesterday? What are you doing today? What are you doing tomorrow?

Those three questions have led to some pretty big moments in our lives. I've become a God mother to a child whose mother I met at Peet's, I've attended weddings, baptisms and yes, even funerals, of people I've known at Peet's.

This morning, I was heading out of the coffee shop with my coffee and I stopped off for a little birthday party someone was having at a table outside. As I ate my birthday cake on the way to the car, I was wondering what I would do without my little coffee shop. I'm not sure I'd like to find out.


3 comments:

  1. I love Peets too, (even that specific one, sometimes!) but your Peets loves you back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worked at a coffeehouse through college and I loved the community that existed within it. So cool that you've discovered the same thing.

    I always thought there was a book somewhere in the world of coffeehouses and lives colliding...maybe you'll write it first. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...