Thursday, June 24, 2010

Day 172: The office spouse

My office spouse is on vacation pondering life for awhile.

She tells me it's good for her brain. Helps her see a bigger picture. At first, I had a tad bit of envy. Why does she take time off to think and I can't?

(We remember that we used our vacation time for Italy, as seen on Days 146-163 of this here blog.)

This pondering of hers got me pondering while I was writing my morning pages. Then I realized that my three pages of writing in my journal everyday is in fact pondering time. And I do it daily, so now I'm not envious.

I do miss my office spouse though. An office spouse is your best friend in the office. The one you go out with for lunch nearly everyday. The one you sit with to discuss work but also life. The one you'll follow to the kitchen to get a tea when you don't need tea but you go just because it's going to be fun.

The office spouse can tell when you woke up on the wrong side of the bed. And she completely understand when you complain about a coworker, unlike a real spouse who probably listens politely but doesn't really understand. The office spouse gets it because she was there, right beside you, in the conference room listening to the aforementioned coworker you're currently complaining about.

The office spouse is the one you sit with in the car when you need to cry. She is the first to comment on your Facebook status and is likely the only coworker who reads your blog mostly everyday, not because she wants to, but because she knows you want her to. And because you'll say to her exasperatedly when you think she should already know something, "Didn't you read it in the blog? Geesh!"

I do things for my office spouse, too. I go surfing with her. Not because I want to go surfing but because when I see her in the water, she lights up like a 10-year-old and seeing her light up like that makes me happy.

Office spouses can be two girls, two guys, or a guy and a girl. Sexual orientation is not applicable. If one or both of you are married, it's good for the real spouses to know your office spouse and be cool with your relationship because it is a close one and you'll talk about this person a lot. When I've introduced my office spouse to my friends, they exclaim "Oh YOU! I've heard SO MUCH about YOU!" And they have. Because most of the day, I'm within a five foot radius of my office spouse.

The office spouse makes corporate life doable. Laughs come easily and inside jokes are aplenty.

With my office spouse out on vacation, I feel a bit lonesome. I get scared to ask people out for lunch because I'm so out of practice. I'll loiter outside someone's office and shyly mention that I happen to be going to Whole Foods at lunch. Then I wait, hoping they ask if they can come along. Last week I had first date nervousness and sweaty armpits asking someone to go to lunch. And sometimes I went to the gym instead because it was just easier. I even sat at lunch time writing my morning pages, I wish she/he would ask me to go for lunch.

I've had an office spouse at most of my major advertising agencies. I'm not exaggerating when I say they have changed my life and made it exponentially better. They have introduced me to a lifelong love of Bruce Springsteen and Lost (Jeff), photography and road trips (Bruce), and as for Sharon, my current office spouse, she has taught me to laugh at it all... the good, the bad and the ugly. It's all there as fodder for us to find jokes to make it easier to get through the daily grind of corporate life.

This is Sharon. 
I wonder what we were laughing about. 
Whatever it was, it sure was funny.


2 comments:

  1. AnonymousJune 25, 2010

    I'm so there with you about the office spouse, Janice. I reconnected with mine for a few weeks when he was freelancing with us and it was like old times. I knew I missed him, but I didn't realize how much until we were reunited. Needless to say, it was glorious to have him back if only for a moment. We were forced to "brake up" when we were laid off over a year ago. I didn't get to see him everyday and talk about...well, everything. But I soon realized it was the best kind of break up in the world. Eventhough I didn't get daily facetime with him, I could still call him and see him anytime I wanted, whereas with a traditional break up, you can't. I luv my Alan and I can't wait to "marry" him again at our next job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When Sharon laughs, you have to laugh!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...