Friday, June 25, 2010

Day 173: Stay hungry. Stay foolish.

I know you were worried about me when my iPhone died. It's tough to be without the world's finest technology in the palm of your hand. 

Because I live a charmed life, a newish friend of mine let me borrow his iPhone 3GS until my 4G arrives in July. This act of kindness will obviously turn him from a newish friend to a VIP status friend. I'm so happy to be back on. Back texting like a fiend, reading your blog comments on the fly and playing my BubbleWrap App. It's good to be back. This same friend led me to Steve Jobs' 2005 Commencement speech at Stanford.

In a nutshell: 
Steve says to follow your curiosity and intuition, to do what you love even if there is no hope of a practical application because it will lead you somewhere. He says that we can't connect the dots looking forward. We can only connect them looking backward and we have to trust that they will connect. Knowing this gives us confidence to follow our heart and intuition. They somehow already know what we truly want to become. He also explains a quote from The Whole Life Catalog from the 1970s, "Stay hungry. Stay foolish." So good. So true. So inspiring.

Now give yourself the gift of watching the 15 minute video:





2 comments:

  1. That is a magnificent speech.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember someone talking recently about how humans are the only animals who will hear their instinct/ intuition and then blatantly disregard it. Funny that we're supposed to be the most highly evolved species.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...