Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Day 178: Being cramped by too much stuff

I mailed off a few packages today for a few winners.

Wink.

In releasing my library of books to lucky winners of my contest, I thought I'd release my postage stamps, too. Two birds, I say. I don't have the stamps people collect. I have the stamps that I forget I already bought.

These stamps are all scattered in one general area of my office. I scrounged and found them all. I had many many many dollars worth of stamps. Why have I collected all these stamps? So I could save time later. Of course, I still need to go to the post office to find out how much my packages cost to ship so I don't actually save time. Instead, I've tossed a small fortune into stamps so that I could have them laying around my office.

Because I'd rather have the stamp than the money?

The insanity doesn't end there. I have a closet full of art supplies, too. Not one journal, but 20. Not one box for shipping paintings I sell on Etsy but 5 or 6. Not 1 tube of glue but 2. Why? Because I might need it later and I'll be able to save time.

Here's a note to you, dear reader. None of this alleged time saving has saved me time. And it's cramped my life and cost me many dollars. Dollars that can go toward things that are more fun than stamps and tubes of glue.

Don't even get me started on my stationery collection.

I think I bought all this stuff out of boredom, a sense of lack or thinking I'd require a LOT of glue in one sitting.

I certainly won't be saving any time organizing my closet of art supplies. I certainly didn't save any time gathering up all my rogue stamps. And I certainly didn't save any time at the post office today. I still had to stand in line like everyone else.

This is just the type of thing about self that makes self crazy.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...