Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Day 179: What I know for sure

My newish friend Alan said to me recently that the only thing he knows for sure is that he can be 100% sure of something today and know that this same thing could be 100% wrong another day.

This got me thinking.

When I was young and living in the backwoods of Canada, I was 100% sure that I wanted to move to Toronto. The moment I had my chance, I did it. When I was living in Toronto, I loved it. But, the day came where I started noticing the planes flying by and a small voice inside said, "I want to go where they are going."

That place, it turns out, was Los Angeles. Now I live here. I knew with 100% certainty that I wanted to live in Los Angeles. There was no doubt in my mind that this was the place for me.

Now there is a small voice talking in my head again saying things like, "I want the best version of my life."

Is working my tail off at a mid-size ad agency in the valley the best version of my life?

Is sitting in traffic the best version of my life?

Is having three waking hours in the evening to spend with my family who is visiting the best version of my life?

Is counting my accrued vacation days the best version of my life?

(A caveat for coworkers who read this blog: The office where I work is actually a good job. It's not the place that's the problem. As far as the office goes, it isn't you. It's me. Really.)

Not so long ago, the little voice in my head wanted to pay off debt and save up cash. That voice wanted a pretty commute to a nice office with nice people. That voice wanted a boss who was super cool and let me show off my shiny advertising skills. That voice wanted all this more than anything. That voice was 100% sure and that voice got what she wanted.

What I know for sure is that voice is scooching me forward to the best version of my life and turning my 100% sure to a 90% sure to a 50% sure... it's kind of like the stock market but instead of ruining everything, you actually get everything you've ever wanted.

This is me presenting creative to the client.



1 comment:

  1. That voice sounds pretty smart.

    And that picture is hysterical. Pitching telecomm products with 1950s underwear models again, I see...

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...