Friday, July 16, 2010

Day 195: Can I admit something to you?

Of course I can. It's my blog. I can do anything I want.

Well you don't have to be snooty about it.

Sorry 'bout that. What I would like to admit to you is that sometimes I channel on my commute.

You what?

I channel a higher being. On my commute. To work.

Well that's not so shocking. You're creating a conversation between yourself and me, your reader, right here right now in italics. It's not exactly a stretch of the imagination to believe that you create other conversations with other beings in your head.

Whew. Glad to hear that. Because I thought I was off my rocker.

I didn't say you weren't nuts.

Right. Anyway, he looks like this:
... except without the chopsticks.

Today I was stressing about getting rid of all the stuff I have in my house in order to become nimble and open to new possibilities. I am learning that it's a big job it is to sort through it and either use it, sell it, donate it or toss it. So I asked Mr. Miyagi about it.

In my mind's eye, I saw Mr. Miyagi take all my old journals that are only half filled and throw them in recycling.

I spoke back, They have blank pages?! That is soooo wasteful.

He looked at me and shrugged. Cluttering your house with them is better? 


Good point.

He's right though. I can't give my half-filled journals away with half the pages ripped out. But I can ignore my Waste-Not-Want-Not who cluttered up my apartment in the first place and just get rid of these journals, which will bring me one step closer to a freer, more nimble existence. Oh it just kills me to be wasteful. But, it kills me more to live with what I no longer need.

Then he showed me my favorite journal:
I have a whole box of these super sweet journals. I ordered them online. I love them. I. LOVE. THEM. They are my go-to journal. I will never, for as long as I live, have to search for the perfect journal because I have found it and this is it. How sweet it is.

Then he said, When you find what you're looking for, you can let the rest go.


3 comments:

  1. I felt the same way once, then I ripped out all the pages of said journals, with my drivel written upon, and gave the remaining journal to my four year old daughter, who quite happily filled the pages with scribbles and drawings, aka, works of art. Whenever there was something of note in these journals (I am a ruthless editor, sadly) I would cut it out and then give it to some relative to enjoy and chuck ( recycle for all you granola eaters) the rest of the journal. I know, it is a circuitous route for the journal to take but I feel it served its purpose fully, and I don't feel guilty about wasting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last quote is a great one. I want a Mr. Miyagi...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jule, I love the unorthodox use of the journals! And Mel, you too can have a Mr. Miyagi. I just made him up. It's that easy.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...