Monday, July 19, 2010

Day 199: I'm not bulletproof

One of the major benefits of headphones is that no one else can hear just how many times you listen to a song.

I listened to Bulletproof by Blue Rodeo on a loop for most of the afternoon at work while I doled out the world's finest copy lines for the world's most brilliant advertising.

Bulletproof makes you sad even when you're not sad. But it's the juicy kind of sad that you want to lean into. The kind of melancholy that makes you sigh and think about that certain someone that hurt you in some way a long time ago. And after all is said and done, there is still a lingering ache that swims around your system during this song.

I spoke with my friend Bryce recently about a girl who once had a crush on him. I met him when he was 8 and now he's 17 and has a rock band that plays at The Viper Room on Sunset Boulevard. How amazing is that? He's brilliant. He, in all his wisdom, looked down at me (because he's very tall now), looked straight into my eyes and said calmly, "Time takes care of these things." Sometimes I think Bryce is older than me.

Whatever time doesn't take care of, Bulletproof will, but in a satisfying "picking at a scab" kind of way.




2 comments:

  1. when did you see bryce recently? where was i? dude, you have a whole life I don't even know about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, you have no idea. It's a whole secret life. I'll fill you in later. Perhaps over frozen yogurt.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...