Monday, July 26, 2010

Day 205: How to discover your true artistic calling

The Great Culling Experiment continued this weekend.

I cleaned out more of my closets in an effort to get my worldly possessions down to one suitcase and become more nimble so I can stay open to opportunities that come my way.

In the middle of all that mess, I found this photo:

Yes, that is really Fabio. 
Don't we look great together? So happy.

Okay, back to me. No wait. Back to Fabio...

As cheesy as he may seem, he's actually pretty fun. 

This week I worked on my closet of art supplies. What a freaking disaster zone.

When I started this Artist's Way project, I did it to discover my art calling. What is life like after I finish a 12-week Artist's Way course? What then? I keep doing morning pages. I keep taking myself on artist's dates. I keep creating art in order to discover my artistic calling, right? Isn't that how it goes? 

And that process, I discovered, takes a shit load of art supplies.

Love it when you swear.

Along the way, I've tried doing fancy art journals like Sabrina Ward Harrison or SARK. I've tried calligraphy and drawing with pastels. Then I tried watercolors and even Paint-by-Numbers. Acrylics on canvas soon followed. There was a coloring book phase (a nod to my inner child) and a collage phase.

I've had a lot of phases and they all take their own collection of art supplies. In the end, I had this:
  • 3 bags for the trash
  • 2 boxes for Goodwill
  • 1 artistic calling
Yes. I actually discovered my true artistic calling.

It's this.

This what? 

This blog.

This little online space I created is where I find my true artistic bliss. I write in my journal to figure out what to write here. I take photos to post here. I create videos to share them here. I find links and YouTube bits and pieces to add color to my posts.

In my year-long project to discover my calling and blog about it, it's the blog that became my calling.

I love it because it's writing and I love turning a phrase that makes my teeth tingle.

I love it because it's clean and I don't like the messy clean up of other art.

I love it because it's portable, which is really good when you dream of a life in Rome.

I love it because it includes YOU!

I can keep you, dear reader, updated on my life, amuse you and hopefully inspire you along the way. One blog post at a time. And you keep me updated on your life, amused and inspired by posting comments and sending me emails. You pretty much rock my world.

This is me thinking of what to write to you in my next blog post:


And me doing a cleavage check:
It's a process keeping these suckers contained.

Did she just write that?

She did.

Oh my.

3 comments:

  1. You are so right about this. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look, a tree! And another tree!!
    Glad the woods didn't get in your way Janice, love this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did Fabio give you that rose? Holy crap, that picture is hilarious. I hope it didn't end up in the trash.

    I'm glad your blog is The Thing. It's nice to have your calling benefit all of us. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...