Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Day 219: Finding my own garden

While I was hanging around the house on Sunday, I started sorting through my mess of magazine clippings:
These were all magazine articles and random scraps of paper I collected to use in some capacity "in the future."

Since the future is a fantasy and the past is a memory, I decided that if I don't use it presently, I'm tossing it in the recycle bin. Most of the clippings were recipes, which is hilarious on so many levels. Tossed!

There were also bits of wisdom that I must have cut out back then knowing somehow that I might need it later.
Remember to breathe. 
Go on. Take a breath. I'll wait.

Ahhhhhhhhhh.

That was nice. A collective sigh from around the globe right here in my wee blog.

Another pretty clipping:

Yet another gem: 
From a magazine article about Nelson Mandel's book Mandela's Way. 

Nelson Mandela, in his book Mandela's Way, writes how he kept a vegetable garden in the prison where he was held during the South African anti-apartheid movement. He supplemented his diet and that of his fellow inmates with fresh vegetables, and in doing so, cultivated a plot of peace for himself.

We all must find our own garden.

I think that's what I was doing when I was clipping all these magazine articles. Deciding where I wanted to be and what I wanted my life to look like. Seeds of ideas for paintings, for books to read and write, for articles and blog posts... they were all there in that pile of magazine clippings.

It gave me a better idea of how to find my own garden... or at least cultivate the one I already have. 

All this garden talk reminds me of one of my favorite friends in the world, Pete McCormack, who once told me, "Let the seeds of love fall where they may. Let God take care of the rest."

Amen.


1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...