Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Day 233-243: Toughen up cupcake

I started this post with this sentence:
"That's it. I'm throwing in the towel. I'm done with this project."
But then my friend Jeff wrote to me right in the middle of typing the sentence above and wrote:
"Toughen up cupcake. It's time to write."
Support comes at the perfect time.

Jeff was my office spouse at another ad agency we worked at in Irvine, California. Irvine is made up of suburbs, giant shopping plazas, diamond clad yoga pants wearing moms with giant purses, and one behemoth ad agency.

Even though he's not my office spouse now, he still acts as though he's taken the vows. He nudges me and makes me do writing I don't feel like doing. He knows what's good for me when I'm swimming too far into the murkiness of my own misery to know for myself. And to think it all started when he asked if I wanted to carpool. Six years later, he keeps this project alive with:
"Toughen up cupcake. It's time to write."
What a good friend.

And yesterday I got my first donation! Check out the right hand side of the page where it says Donate. (Scroll up a bit) Click on it and you can donate to my Great Escape Fund, where I will write to you from the road. Which road? Haven't a clue. I don't even know which country that road will be in. I suppose it depends on the donations. When will this happen? No idea. The donation came from my best friend and co-author Marni. It was her way of saying:
"Toughen up cupcake. It's time to write."
It made me beam.

So today I'm back. Back after being so consumed with my own misery that I haven't bothered to post.  I've kept up writing my morning pages everyday but it's the same banal crap that doesn't feel worth sharing. 

ba·nal/ˈbānl/Adjective: So lacking in originality as to be obvious and boring.

So bear with me folks. I'm pulling myself out of this thing. I'm letting myself off the hook for the last ten days of silence and not even attempting to catch myself up on my posts.

But first, I'd like to blame the fact that I've stopped eating sugar. I miss chocolate

I'd also like to blame the workload at my current ad agency. And the heat in the San Fernando Valley.

And even Rome for being so beautiful that every other place (besides Maui) is like the slums.

And AT&T just because they suck.

That's about it. Okay. Now this cupcake is going to toughen and get back to writing.

Thanks for hanging in there. Well, except for that 34th follower who dropped off during the silence period. Pft.


4 comments:

  1. Personally, I think there's value in wallowing in the mire for a while now and then. But no blaming Roma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a cupcake is in order!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're lucky to have your Jeff. Even though he seems like a pain sometimes.

    I lost my 34th person too, don't feel bad. You'll surely surpass me and I've been posting since 2007.

    Glad you're taking the tough route - your writing cheers up my days...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Mel, you're half right. I couldn't agree with you more (that makes twice). I think Janice IS lucky to have me.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...