Monday, September 20, 2010

Day 255: I am an idiot

I am an idiot.

It all began with this dress. Had to get it off to the tailor so that I'd look even more fabulous that I already do. I had arranged to have a friend fetch it but he failed me. FAIL. FAIL. FAIL.

That was my first sign of being an idiot. Asking for it to be fetched by someone whom I didn't know would bail.

That meant I had to fetch it myself. In order to do so, I had to leave work EXACTLY on time, PRAY that there would be no traffic, HOPE there was a parking spot IMMEDIATELY outside the tailor's shop before it closed.

Relying on all this was my second, third and fourth sign of being an idiot because I often have to stay at work late, I often hit traffic and I often have to circle around looking for parking.

Then there was the risk that the dress would not be finished. I didn't call the tailor to confirm that it was ready (fifth sign). If the dress was not finished I would be taking an untailored dress to the event that was the next day. There was no wiggle room on time but there was plenty of wiggle room in my dress. Wearing an untailored dress would mean I failed. FAIL. FAIL. FAIL.

As I was driving to the tailor I was thinking of all this and was also thinking that this is just the type of thing about self that drives self nuts. I can't keep cutting it so close. It creates anxiety, which for me reveals itself physically in the form of zits.

Fortunately, it all worked out. I was able to leave work exactly on time, didn't run into traffic, found a perfect parking spot outside the tailor's shop and picked up the dress that was, in fact, ready and did, in fact, look fabulous on my idiot self.

But now I have a zit.




4 comments:

  1. How does the statistic go: 90% of what we worry about never comes to fruition?

    I think you should squeeze your zit onto the "friend" who failed to pick up your dress in the first place...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If that’s what constitutes being an idiot, then so am I. And I’d say we’re in pretty good company. You learned you have a friend who had a bad day and needs another chance, or who really shouldn’t be relied on to run errands in the future. Time will tell. Remember self does the best she can, no one’s perfect. And in the course of life, well, zit happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can always retouch the zit out, you've done it before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's the lesson we keep on learning. So, for a long time I set the car clock ahead so I was scared into on time behavior. (And I had a 7 minute pad.) Now I have a routine literally figured out for time and it seems to help greatly. Except when I don't. Then it doesn't. I hate the cutting it so close part.
    Now let's talk about the friend who bailed. Shall we?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...