Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Day 270: The hunger

"The hunger will give you everything. It will take from you everything. And there's not a damn thing you can do about it."
This art is from GapingVoid by one of my favorite artists/bloggers/authors Hugh MacLeod. He also happens to have my favorite last name. Tragically, we are not related. 

Any artist can tell you that they have the hunger, that it will take from them everything and there is not a damn thing they can do about it.

Any true artist will also tell you they don't mind.

They don't mind because that is simply the way they were born and they don't have a choice about whether or not they want to be creative. They just are and the sooner they learn to incorporate creativity into their daily lives and burn that energy, the better of they—and everyone around them—will be.

Why is this?

Because squelching a burning desire to create is harder than not creating.

The lesser of two evils? 

I guess you could say that. 

There are times that I am so very frustrated with writing my morning pages, writing this blog (what am I going to write today?!?!!), writing ads and writing books. It's hard and I struggle through it. I go at it kicking, screaming and punching, and with more than a little ache and frustration.

But then... then I turn a phrase that is just perfect. Then I touch on a truth that makes the world feel understood. Then I write something that makes me a fan of my own work. Those are the moments that make all the other moments worth working through.
"I would rather have thirty minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special."
-- Shelby from Steel Magnolias
So is writing hard? Sure as shit it's hard.

Am I going to do it everyday for the rest of my life?

Yes. I am. I am because I was born with the hunger. And it will likely take from me everything. And there is not a damn thing I plan on doing about it beyond letting it do with me what it will.

It will be a sweet torture.

Nice.


4 comments:

  1. And I second that Amen! That post was so so so true Janice! You're not just a Blog Mama, you're a Guru! I really connect with what you said.=D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Josh, may you also have a sweet torture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really is a sort of torture, isn't it? Sometimes I'll be blowdrying my hair or doing something mundane and a poem will start writing itself in my head. Then I have to stop and go put it down on paper. I suppose there are worse afflictions one could have.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...