Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Day 299: One step forward, two steps back

Carla (18 x 24 acrylic collage)

So where have I been? I've been painting. It seems that my artistic pursuits ebb and flow in my life. When I'm not posting to my blog, I'm painting. When I'm not painting, I'm practicing guitar. And when I'm not practicing guitar, I'm posting. This triad of art affairs is frustrating at times because when I'm ahead on one, I'm behind on two. So to feel accomplished with one is to feel guilty and stressed about two.

I'm working it through.

I'm sure there is some lesson about art in this and how the importance is in the making of it regardless of the form it takes.

The painting shown above features my sister Carla on her wedding day. I caught her in between shots taken by the official photographer. The expression seems to say so much, yet whatever it says is likely different for everyone.

To me, she seemed to be working something through. 

Then I tossed in some drippy paint, a sinister looking autumnal tree, some Vogue dress patterns and of course, sequins. My hope is that the resulting collage says something different to everyone who sees it.

I tried on her dress once. She was on her honeymoon and I was house sitting for her. I looked at myself in the mirror and felt a mix of curiosity, panic, fear and horror. I'm not sure what all that meant but I took that dress off lickity split.

I'm working it through.


5 comments:

  1. Still working through something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that painting is bloody great Blog Mama. You're very much a multi-talent when it comes to the arts. So where's the second you mentioned to me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Josh and Carla. It's a good one. I like the drippy paint bit. Something so organic about drippy paint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. Is there significance to the tree being red? Seems like there might be...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I notice when you don;t post. I like it better when you do. I feel more connected to you.

    Miss you.

    xo

    Scott

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...