Saturday, October 30, 2010

Day 304: Pumpkins aren't welcome in Office Town


Pumpkins aren't welcome in Office Town

I miss me
The me that is kind
Loving
Alive
And true
The me that loves pumpkins
For their orangeness
And vibrancy
For how they put themselves out there
For being the brightest in their field

I miss me
Right now I'm the remnant me
Who gazes at the pumpkin and thinks
Maybe next year
Next year I'll be into pumpkins
This year, I'm just getting by
This year, the grind has me worn down
This year in Office Town
Pumpkins are just another thing to deal with
What are we going to do with a pumpkin?
Let's make use of it
Deal with it
Not let it go to waste
Certainly not enjoy it
Is there a job number for it?
Can we bill for the time taken
To deal with the pumpkin?

We'd better meet about it
In the conference room
Soup, stew or pie
What will bring the best ROI?
The plan is set
Executed and tested
Results roll in
The campaign was a success
So a crate of pumpkins rolls in
And we begin again
Day after day
Perfecting our pumpkin process

Until the time comes
When a whisper eeks out
From the recess of my mind
To remind me that I loved pumpkins once
Before they became too much work
And wouldn't it be nice
To return to a time
To the me
That could love pumpkins again


5 comments:

  1. Janice,
    Love your blog!
    Just remember that life is a journey, not a destination. Don't overlook the orangeness of this year's pumpkins in your search of future pumpkin orangeness and happiness! This year's "orangeness" is here for you to enjoy now. Don't miss out on it!
    MR

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me sad and made me smile at the same time. You are such a clever one with words.

    I hope you find you soon. Missing is no good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand what you're feeling here. And as someone who has gotten back, after so many years, to being the pumpkin-loving me again, I must say that I wish the same for you. Whatever our work situation is can be a real drag. Work is such a big part of what makes up life. But you are certainly so much more than just your Office Town. You offer so much to the world in this blog, your art, your writing, your vibrant personality. You've helped me like pumpkins again. Hopefully these words can be part of returning the favor? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your kind words. MR... Yes, life is a journey, not a destination. Undertaker... I accept your hugs with glee. Mel Heth... I'm so glad to have your constant blog companionship. And to Joshua... I'm honored to have had a part in making you like pumpkins again. Thank you for your kind words. Your grand kindnesses astonishes me. I'm glad to know you.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...