Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Sensible pants


I hear my neighbor coming up the stairs
Tired and spent
An attorney

When, on occasion, we chat
She has a sad tiredness behind her eyes
Another day of billable hours
In her sensible pants
And Burberry belt

"This isn't what I thought it would be"
She seems to say with those eyes
I mentally squeeze her hand to comfort her
"Live beneath your means," I want to say
But instead we talk nonsense
About the weather and other neighbors

"Have a good day." She ends it.
Have a good day. I concede.

Our doors shut
I sit here
In my life that I live beneath my means
I'm about to read, write and sip coffee
Plan my travels
And do all the things I always wished I could do
Back when I wore my
Sensible pants
And Burberry belt

3 comments:

  1. I look forward to reading your block even if it is about sensible pants .Jan im happy that you are happy thats all a mother wishes for her children to be happy and healthy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it amazing how contraction of certain areas of our life leads to such expansion in others? I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm behind on your blog (March!)... due in part also to the curse of the billable hours. This is awesome -- great work.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...