Friday, March 25, 2011

Space Invader has invaded Paris!

I went in search of the Picasso Museum. Not easy to find. I had two maps and still did circles around the few blocks where I thought it might be. There were signs, too, pointing in every which direction. Lies. All lies.

I finally arrived on a street corner at the same time as two American women who were also holding maps and looking just as confused as me. Exasperated, I asked them if they were also looking for the Picasso Museum. They were looking for another museum and were doing a similar circumnavigation around the same few blocks.

But they knew where the Picasso Museum was and they pointed right to it: WIN.

I walked up to a locked door with a sign that said:

Dear Visitors,

We must inform you that the Musée National Picasso is closed for renovation and will reopen in Spring 2012.
Picasso Museum: FAIL. 

So that was that.

No matter. I went in search for one of my other favorite artists, Space Invader.

Space Invader is a French artist who pastes up little Space Invaders, made from square tiles. He chooses locations according to aesthetic, strategy or concept. And they are usually up high. According to Wikipedia, "In Montpellier, the locations of mosaics were chosen so that, when placed on a map, they form an image of a giant space invader character."

How rad is that?

And the beauty of Space Invader's art is that it's not closed renovation until 2012. As for it being easy to find? Well, there is a lot of wandering around involved, but when you gaze up and see one, it's like a little friend waving hello.

The Space Invaders I've found thus far:








Picasso schmicasso. 

1 comment:

  1. It's like there are wonderful little Easter eggs hidden all over the city.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...