Thursday, March 17, 2011

Wild about Oscar Wilde

A cemetery is an odd place to start.

But on Day 2 of my adventures in Paris, I went to Père-Lachaise Cemetery to find the amazing and wonderful author extraordinaire, Oscar Wilde.

Why do I love Oscar Wilde? First, he was a great writer. Second, he loved saying sensational things. Humble wasn't his game. Why be humble when you can be great? Par example...

"I have nothing to declare except my genius."
Awesome. And...

"I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read in the train."

I couldn't agree more. Plus...


"I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their intellects."

...which means Oscar and I would have been friends, acquaintances and enemies.

And of course... 

"I can resist everything except temptation."

...which is especially true when faced with the many cheeses, desserts and breads of Paris.

He is also said to have something on his deathbed like, "My wallpaper and I are fighting a duel to the death. One or other of us has to go." But sadly, Wikiquote corrected this and reports:
The following clarification was printed in the Guardian's Corrections and clarifications column, Thursday October 18 2007. Oscar Wilde did not say, on his deathbed, "Either those curtains go or I do." He is reported to have said something along the lines of "this wallpaper will be the death of me - one of us will have to go", but not on his deathbed.
Regardless, he's awesome and I had to find him in the colossus Père-Lachaise Cemetery.

Walking...


















Still walking...

Looking and walking....

This chick got too tired of walking and had to sit down...

This guy had a map so I asked him how to find Oscar...

He led me to the wrong famous person...

So I asked this chick where to find Oscar. She drew me a map.

On the way, I found this guy who asked me to put a flower on Oscar's grave for him.

I thought I was nearly there when I saw a bunch of flowers at a grave, but it was only Jim Morrison.

So I kept walking.

And walking.

And walking.

Until at last I found the one, the only, Oscar Wilde.

Apparently, I'm not the only one who loves Wilde.

I'm also not the only one who likes to quote Wilde.
I love that someone had to declare their own genius by correcting this quote:

Success!

Now how the heck do I get out of here? I'm starting to get the willies.

6 comments:

  1. Ahhh, Père-Lachaise. One of the most interesting places to go "discovering" in Paris. I wish I could've been there with you. A love of Oscar Wilde is now another shared interest of ours. His quotes abound with both wit and insight. An interesting man who had a very interesting life. He would've been "one of our people". A bientot...bisous...xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a girl after my own heart ~ love this cemetery post!!!! As you travel....your readers travel.
    Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! Although I've been to Paris I've never been to the cemetery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just went to the famous Recoletta cemetary in Buenos Aires where Eva Peron is buried...it was very interesting and creepy.

    Who is doing your bio-pics I thought you were travelling alone...hmmmmm...is that why you have the willies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oscar Wilde has serendipitously popped up my in my life multiple times today. I think maybe the universe is trying to tell me what to spend my Barnes & Noble groupon on! Thanks for sharing this adventure. I've developed a real fondness of late for the art galleries that old cemeteries become.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maria Claire HadzisMarch 28, 2011

    I never knew we had Oscar in common :) Did it not weird you out when I quoted him for my wedding?? hahaha We not only have Oscar in common, but cemetaries... just ask Bruce. It's a little weird. But it's cool... right? :)
    Hope you are loving this experience!
    xoxo
    MarEEEahhh

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...