Monday, May 9, 2011

London: Perfectly timed, music and advice

I couldn't have plan this trip to London more perfectly, which is amazing since I did it all on a whim. 

I chose to visit London simply because everyone seems to have already been. I figured I should go, too.

Since I live a charmed life, I happened to arrived in London at the perfect time for 5 amazing reasons.


First, there was the excitement of the Royal Wedding.



Second, I was able to attend my friend Ed's birthday.
Ed's birthday party. Pictured are Ed, Austin, me and Grant.


Third, my friends Jim and Bella from California arrived in London for their vacation at the same time as me.
Jim and The Beebs all the way from Santa Monica, California.


Fourth, my friends Grant and Austin were playing a show on the nights I was in town.


Austin and Grant rockin' it in London.


Fifth, my friend Paul, who lives down the street from me in Santa Monica and is in my close circle of friends, was in London on business.


Paul and I with our official Pleased faces.


Paul and I with our official Displeased faces.
Paul's arrival turned out to be more than just good timing. I had questions that only a friend who knows the long version of my life's story could answer. I also needed to know where to go for the next leg of my journey. He was great with advice. He was clear and spoke like a loving, bossy older brother. He said, "This is what you're going to do and this is what you're not going to do." Then he laid out the next leg of my travel plan for me. Sometimes a girl just needs to be told where to go and what to do.


All these young fellas are major players part of the vibrant music scene of London, so naturally, since I was lucky enough to be staying with Grant (thank you!!!), music was a big part of my stay in London.


If you've lived under a rock for the last 50 years, let me give you a brief history of the London music scene. London is where the Rolling Stones rocked Hyde Park, where the Beatles began their stroll around the globe from Abbey Road, where little boys like David Bowie and Robbie Williams turned into the stadium-filling superstars we know today.


And let's not forget the Spice Girls.


On the night we were all in London at the same time, Austin met me at the Tube to help me with directions and to unlock the mysteries of the Oyster card. 
On your first trip to London, it's good to have a Tube buddy like Austin to show you the way.
Then we all met at a bar to talk about music and life. I mostly just sat in amazement at how much and who they knew in the music biz. Afterward, we zipped to Grant's house and they jammed into the wee hours of the morning.


Ed asks, "Are you going to put this on the blog?"
No, no. Certainly not.
Listening to boys make noise is pretty dreamy. I drifted off to sleep that night with their music bouncing around in my head. I also slept soundly knowing for certain where to go next on my journey and confident that when I get there, it will be as perfectly timed as it was today.



2 comments:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...