Monday, May 16, 2011

Rome: Fountains of thought

"Few people know so clearly what they want. Most people can't even think what to hope for when they throw a penny in a fountain."      -- Barbara Kingsolver

Of course, Romans thought that through. That's why the only wish you can have when you throw a coin in Trevi Fountain is that you return to Rome.


Rome, Promise me I will return to you. 
The Romans are full of good ideas. 

I think they spaced out fountains just far enough away from each other so that the moment you can't hear one, you hear another.


That's just how they roll here in Roma.


This is why they ran the world.


So as I walk through Rome, I follow the sounds of trickling water with my Hipstamatic (another great idea) and arrived at these works of beauty:




These fountains are for drinking water. Everyone takes a swig or fill up their water bottles as they walk by. Genius.

Trevi Fountain

Trevi Fountain

Triton Fountain

Triton Fountain

Random fountain in Villa Borghese

Another random fountain in Villa Borghese

Fountain of the Calderari (Coppersmiths), Piazza Navona

Fountain of the Calderari (Coppersmiths), Piazza Navona

Fountain of the Four Rivers, Piazza Navona

Fountain of the Four Rivers, Piazza Navona

Fountain of the Moor, Piazza Navona

Palazzo Farnese

Palazzo Farnese

Palazzo Farnese

Palazzo Farnese

Not sure where this fountain is. I was lost when I found it.

Lost here, too.

The Fountain of the Tortoises

The Fountain of the Tortoises

At the Vatican. Those are Bernini's statues in the background.

Outside of St. Mary's in Trastevere

On the way to the Vatican. This dragon seems to say "Eff YOU! I'm a dragon."

Roma, Promettimi che ritournerò.


2 comments:

  1. I love these! You should sell prints - they're gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...