Monday, May 9, 2011

Rome: An officer and a gentleman


I'm in Rome! Rome, Rome how I love Rome!

My first order of business in Rome (after the airline delivered my luggage that went missing) was to reconnect with my favorite Romans. I happened to have arrived during the beatification of Pope John Paul II. Though this is a lovely, spiritual and important event, the reality of a million people showing up in Rome means a lot of navigating around church groups and standing in long lines for gelato.

But more about the beatification later.

You know that final scene in Officer and a Gentleman? The one where Richard Gere walks into the factory in his uniform, scoops up Debra Winger and carries her off to live happily ever after?

That's how I felt when I saw Claudio again.


Claudio is one of the Vatican guards and a bodyguard to the Pope. We arranged a quick meeting at the Vatican once the beatification was over so I could get into the Basilica without waiting in line.

It's good to be me. 

When he walked out in his uniform, through the line of Swiss guards and ushered me and me alone into the Vatican with a crowd of tourists watching, I just melted. Right there on the spot. Janice was reduces to a puddle. Splat on the ground. That was me when I saw Claudio. 

Claudio is truly an officer and a gentleman.

It's good to be me who has good friends like Claudio.
Along with being handsome and super hot in his uniform, Claudio is extremely kind. His heart is so big that I feel it radiating just by standing near him. I'm not even exaggerating. That's just how he rolls.

I suppose that's what happens when you walk around the grounds with the Pope every morning while he does his rosary. And when you're the type of guy that stands closest to the Pope so if something goes down, it's you and not the Pope. 

People wonder why I love Rome. People like Claudio is why I love Rome. 

They make me feel like the luckiest, safest and most adored girl in the world.  

Frig I love this place.  

6 comments:

  1. You ARE the luckiest, safest, and most adored girl in the world. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. blakerooMay 09, 2011

    I think it's "beatification."
    But there's Claudio. Let's call it a Freudian slip. :)

    Deeply, happily jealous. Eat some gelato for all of us watching on the Interwebs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blakeroo, You're right! What a funny error. And he is beautiful. That must have been why I slipped.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy yourself sweet girl! Wish I could slurp some gelato and have a lovely Roman Holiday with you ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mel HethMay 10, 2011

    All I can say is grrrr....

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...