Friday, May 18, 2012

People who make me up my game

Upping my photo montage game.

Three days after returning to Paris, I received a call from my local bookstore. My new book was in.

I was breathless.

"Yes, yes. I'm coming right now. Hold on!"

I nearly ran, I was so flippin' excited.

I ran into the bookstore Kramer-style. "I'm here! I'm here for my book!"

He didn't ask me what book it was. He grabbed it from the top of one of the many piles on his desk and handed it over. He knew what book I wanted because I had stopped by two days in a row. I "happened" to be in the neighborhood and was "wondering" if my book was in yet. I even "happened" to veer Christophe down a small alley on our walk that just "happened" to be the fastest way to the bookstore. Just to see.

I snatched the book from him, bid a swift adieu and headed to the nearest café, which happened to be a Tabac shop. Little known fact: Tabac shops in Paris are some of the best, most lovely, haunting, beautiful cafés. And there are no tourists in them. It's a good place to hide.

I could have bought it on Amazon, but I considered ordering it through a bookstore an artist date. The book in question:
Holy frig its good. The author, Nichole Robertson, spent many a leisurely lingering afternoon snapping photos of Paris. She works in the neutral background of Paris and finds colors that pop. Then snaps them and mashes them together for a photo montage that makes my teeth tingle. So good. There are no cliché touristy Paris shots, just fantastic images of daily life.

She gives a nearly-daily dose of the good stuff on her blog Little Brown Pen. And if you feel like stalking her further, you can do so at her Etsy shop.




After absorbing each and every page of this book with my eyeballs bugging out of my head, I walked toward home. It was as if I was struck by enlightenment. Colors popped. Flowers, candy, chairs and scooters revealed themselves as vibrant as toys. I tried snapping shots like in the book. I realized just how many shots and how much exploring it takes to do what Robertson did with Paris in Color.

Upon returning chez moi, I checked my email and found yet another brilliant poem by Samantha Reynolds from Bentlily. She endeavors to write one poem a day. When I see her new poem, everything else stops. She's a cup of hot tea on a rainy day. She makes loving poetry easy. And every poem leaves me sighing with satisfaction. She does to poetry what Robertson does to color.

These two make me want to up my game. Bring it.

Oh it's brought.

Who said that? 

12 comments:

  1. ohhh laa laa !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also a fan of Samantha. How can one person have so many beautifully strung words inside?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's got a gift. Her poems are like a bunch of pretty flowers.

      Delete
  3. That looks beautiful! I commend your patience and local book store ordering. Good one. And now I go to her blog and drool nastily for a little while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be right there with you. Drooling.

      Delete
  4. Janice!

    I just read this twice. You are so sweet. Seriously.

    I'm so happy you like the book, and I am so glad that it inspired you. That's what it's all about, right?

    Thank you so much for your kind words.

    Have a great weekend!
    Nichole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoo hoo! Thanks for creating an amazing book. My time in Paris is much more vibrant now. Mine eyes have seen the glory.

      Thanks,
      Janice

      Delete
  5. I am addicted to Samantha's poetry. A poem a day seems a daunting tast, yet she seems to do it with stye and ease.

    Love the color book. It's amazing how we can go around everyday and not notice all the color that surrounds us until we become aware, and then it's overload. For me, it never stops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colors in this book totally inspire. A fellow artist like yourself would get a lot out of it, too. I'm sure.

      Delete
  6. There's something about juxtaposing similar colors or objects with photography that just makes a part of your gut sizzle inside. I worked at a stock photo shop back in the day and loved playing with what went well together. That book looks awesome. And Bentlily - well thank you for posting about her however long ago you did. Her words are like candy. (Your blog is too!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woww, thats freaking awesome! & it will forever be a book that will inspire you. I'm actually really attracted to the grey and yellow colourways.

    Also wanted to thank you for following my blog and just let you know that I'm now hosting it at www.morganvsmorgan.com if you were still interested in following :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...